[ View menu ]

Network Worries Confirmed, Test Results, Even Faster Squats, Nose and a Reunion

Unfortunately, and frighteningly, my fears about the future of the network I’m in were proven correct on Thursday, when dad finally got around to calling the guy to meet and pay, after I pestered him about it for weeks. When they met, he was told that those health problems are serious and he can’t deal with this anymore, so he’s taking the opportunity to let us know that he will keep it running until January 5, but that’s it, so we need to move by then. And he also said that we and the son of that friend of dad’s living in the other part of this building, around the corner, are the only ones left in the network in this area, which I guess means that he couldn’t work anything out for the ones from the next building, which I seem to remember were six, after the work started there and they kept cutting the cables.
Needless to say, I’ve been quite a mess since then, not sleeping much that following morning, having quite a hard time the next one as well, and I guess being exhausted enough to fall asleep relatively quickly this morning but then being unable to fall asleep again after I woke up to pee around 11 AM. Dad obviously doesn’t seem to care, blew me off again when I said I was worried about it, and I can’t even talk about it without being quite sure that I’ll lose it completely. And an even bigger problem is that we don’t really have all these days until January 5 to find a solution, because tomorrow and next Monday are basically the only full workdays until then, with the Tuesdays being short days, and questionable even then, and the Fridays being declared free as well. Admittedly, that’s for state workers, but wouldn’t rely on such things being handled then anywhere.
People sure don’t understand how fragile any sort of balance and “functionality” I somehow maintain actually is and how much effort it requires, and that certain things absolutely must stay as they are, offer a clear stability that I must know I can always rely on, any concerns about those crushing me completely. And at the top of that list are my living space, which mainly means my room, but also a few other things I regularly rely on around here, and my computer, which of course starts with its own functionality, both hardware and software, but the way in which I access the Internet comes immediately after that. And, while being in such a network is “only” a very strong preference, no longer being able to do so being certain to cause me to feel terrible for a long time, likely significantly worsening my depression permanently, but I guess something I could eventually live with to some extent, the details are absolutely mandatory. And by “details” I mean having a fixed IP and direct connection for my computer, without requiring any sort of equipment or installed software, nor any settings or tweaks that may conflict with something else I have or simply with how I prefer to do things. And my computer must have that IP and connection on its own, not sharing it through a router with dad’s or anything else we may have, and it must all be wired, without any wireless function. And these things were standard for these networks, and still are for the few that still exist, but there don’t seem to be any left in this area and the companies that took over the market don’t offer them at all, not even for an additional fee, for home users, but only for business accounts. And the medium-sized companies in the field don’t seem to deal with home users at all.
Though they seem to mainly focus on business operations for quite a number of years now and I’ve seen cables cut and simply left to dangle all over that area as work started on those buildings as well, there was that trace of hope left from that other network located a few streets away, since I also noticed a few cables reappearing on buildings where work was completed and they still had that location and some hours listed, even if they seemed to have been reduced a fair bit. However, I passed by it yesterday and saw the place pretty much barred, with a “for rent” sign on the gate, and several notices all around stating that as of February they will move to a new location. Don’t recall the address, but there was also a map pointing to it, and showing some routes from the current one to the new one, and while I’m not sure of the scale, it’ll definitely be a fair bit farther away, and possibly much farther, towards the center of the city. The good news is that moving means they plan to continue, aren’t closing as well, but the bad news is that it quite clearly means that they were driven out of that area, possibly giving up on any remaining customers in order to either do what plenty of other former networks ended up doing, giving up on any home users left and dealing only with business customers, or possibly finding an area spared from such work for the time being, where they’ll be able to operate a while longer.

Moving on, somehow… Last Wednesday I had the blood tests done, and also left a urine sample. Was supposed to take a stool sample as well, but of course I can’t shit in the morning, and the attempt to do so before going to bed didn’t go well either. Something did come out, but I allowed the first bit to fall in the toilet on purpose and then tried to do the second in some toilet paper, yet accidentally dropped it in the toilet as well, and then nothing else came out even though I was there for some 45 minutes and was getting really worried that I’ll end up bleeding after all of that. So I walked there with dad and he asked whether he’ll be able to bring that the next day… Which ended up being a rather pointless question, since the test apparently required three samples, from three consecutive days. The problem was that the clinic doing the tests closes at noon and the third day would have been Friday, and the last sample obviously couldn’t be kept until Monday if I was going to take it in the afternoon, but we were told that if there will be two samples taken Thursday, one at the normal hour and one perhaps at night, if possible, it will be fine, taking both over there on Friday, and that’s what we ended up doing, with him going back Thursday and Friday to drop off the samples.
Otherwise, it was drizzling as we walked over there, but raining quite seriously on the way back, and a car also splashed water from a puddle on my pants. But I also bought National Geographic on the way, just peeling away from dad to do so as we had to stop at a light anyway, and then didn’t have long to wait. In fact, likely spent more time inside than waiting for my turn, since I guess I was in after some ten minutes and then the woman who was there took a while to enter all the tests I had been given, and I seem to remember her saying that there were 28 of them in total, a few requiring payment. I think she took four vials of blood, though I obviously wasn’t exactly looking. It took a while for the blood to start flowing though, was barely trickling in the vial at first, until I guess she managed to calm me down a little more and it got much better. Then, as I already mentioned, the walk back was quite unpleasant, and what was even more annoying was that the rain stopped almost completely soon after we got back, so we were out at exactly the wrong time to catch the worst of it… And then I had another unpleasant moment when I ate some more of the pasta I had cooked and found a piece of plastic in it. No idea whether it was from the pasta bag or the grated kashkaval, but I wonder how much of it had completely melted into the pasta and I ended up eating…
Either way, Friday, so two days ago, I got the results, and they were much better than expected. Nothing odd about urine or stool samples, and nothing indicating kidney problems again in the blood tests either, and that was what I was worrying about the most, apparently for no reason. All I’m seeing are a number of indicators showing signs of a slight anemia, or possibly just a lack of iron and some vitamins. Other than that, somewhat lower levels of ionized calcium and albumin and slightly higher direct bilirubin, these last two striking me, after quickly glancing at some explanations, as possibly being related, and possibly also related to those other indicators I already mentioned and their cause.

That doesn’t do anything about the breathing problems I’m still noticing, and which have in fact gotten worse. Actually, my nose has most clearly gotten worse, but before that happened and I stopped timing them, I managed to do the squats even faster, in 2:06, on December 14! Really went for it, at full speed from the beginning, caring for nothing else, seeing 1:04 at 50 and getting tired around 70 but just giving it everything for speed alone, seeing 1:48 at 85 and 2:00 at 95, just putting every bit I still had into it and managing that, though I was shaking and somewhat out of it after I was done. The other times I have are 2:11 on December 13, 2:27 on December 15 and probably 2:09 on December 12, the fact that I wasn’t certain about this time actually being the reason why I pushed for a new record, since there was a replay at the end again and I was so close to that 2:08, seeing 1:03 at 50 and 1:48 at 85, which had me on pace for 2:07, but then 2:03 at 95, just before the replay started.

Considering the weather, meant to run twice this week, but was obviously left just with Monday’s run. The alarm rang at 1 PM, though I was already awake for a little while, and I went out at 3 PM, still not getting back to eating those wheat things before a run. Had my jacket on for the walk, but it was tied around my waist during the run, the reported 13°C obviously meaning I ran in the t-shirt, with the undershirt under it. It was sunny too, but the wind bothered me a bit, mainly early on, and there were some people to weave around as well, though there were no notable problems caused by them.
I was worried about breathing, the whistling sound I had been noticing, mainly on my right nostril and mainly when breathing out, and the feeling that something was blocking the air there, and even though I didn’t actually feel there was a problem with breathing while I ran, it seemed hard at first, so I was thinking I may need to settle for just staying under 48:30 and was worried even about that. But I started pushing from sector three of lap one, harder from sector two of lap two, and times started looking better, and I felt somewhat better too, though I remained concerned all the way to the end of lap three. Nevertheless, the time was 47:38.64, with sector times of 4:23.15, 5:06.73, 5:51 (5:50.47), 4:28 (4:27.70), 5:00.45, 5:48.33, 4:27 (4:26.57), 4:59 (4:58.66), 5:46.47 and 1:50.11, making for lap times of 15:20.35, 15:16.48 and 15:12 (15:11.70).

The problem was that my nose was awfully irritated after that, that spot in my right nostril bothering me quite a lot, and while having an irritated nose after a run isn’t unusual, that was unusually bad and didn’t go away in a matter of hours, or even one or two days. My stomach was hurting as well after I took a bath, but the nose was really bad, if I tried to breathe through that nostril I’d start sneezing, my right eye would start watering, stuff would just start dripping out of that nostril, and if I kept at it I’d even start to feel it affecting that part of my upper gum, the ear, even that side of my throat, and eventually giving me headaches as well. And I looked, and then also asked dad to look, and we both thought we saw something that looked like a small injury in there, much to his surprise, since he obviously didn’t believe me at first. And the feeling wouldn’t go away at all, I pretty much had to avoid breathing through that nostril unless I was under the blanket, using a hand to keep it closed as much as possible, so for the next few days I didn’t do much, though I guess I should mention that on December 17 I saw no visits again, in either view, and then only went to bed at 5:20 AM, and maybe also that Thursday night I finally finished the last vegetables I got in exchange for plastic bottles, since I had saved a Kapia pepper and a kohlrabi for this week’s planned runs and cut them in half, using half Sunday night and being left with the other until then, obviously being in no condition to run again those days.

Had to go out on Friday though, some of the “old guard” activists arranging something of a reunion that evening, at a place next to University Square, and if there was any way for me to go, I wanted to, even if obviously just to listen to some discussions and see some people again, and even if it was clearly just supposed to be a reunion, not a meeting where plans will be made or anything else of that sort. The problem was that, after seeming a fair bit better Thursday evening and night, my nose was bad again when I got up, to the point that I was seriously considering going to a hospital, even by myself if necessary. Still allowed for the possibility when I went out, if it’ll be necessary, but it ended up going much better than expected and I even checked out a vegan fair before going there. Had been meaning to have a look, since it wasn’t far, and before going to bed, when things seemed so much better, even considered making that detour despite walking all the way, since I thought dad was going to need the metro card, but then the fact that he ended up having different plans and leaving me the card after all didn’t seem to compensate for how my nose was and I meant to give up on the idea, before deciding to at least try when I actually went out.
So I went out at 5:50 PM and reached that fair at 6:20 PM, leaving at 7 PM. I almost didn’t go in at all, seeing something about a 10 RON fee on the door and thinking that there was a fee for visiting the fair, before I noticed others just walking in and following them, figuring out moments later that the fee was for a show that was also taking place there that evening. However, I also just listened to what those others were being told, pretty much without looking around at all, and when they were told that there was a food court downstairs I also turned to go there, only noticing the room next to the stairs, where some NGO fair was also taking place, having a quick look around there and then going to that food court, being left thinking that the few stands that were there were the actual fair and therefore taking the opportunity to go to the toilet and then going back up, meaning to leave quickly. But at least I did look around at that point and noticed the actual fair and went in the right way, having a look all around and tasting a handful of things, though I had a hard time persuading myself to do so and skipped plenty of others.
On my way out I stopped at a stand with jams, tasting a few and finding an interesting one, dried plums filled with nuts, the jars also seeming larger than the others, yet the woman who was there said that everything was the same price, 15 RON. I found that strange and looked better, seeing 25 RON written with a pen above the sign for that kind, and when I pointed it out to her she said she hadn’t even noticed, and considering that she also couldn’t tell me the size of the jars, it’s quite clear that she was just there to sell, and doing a poor job of that as well. Still, she repeated that everything should be the same price, and I said I’ll think about it as I walked away, actually considering turning around to buy one of those jars as I stood next to the door for a while, before finally deciding against it and leaving.
My nose had bothered me quite a bit when I first went out, despite wearing that thing received the last time I planted trees so pretty much only my eyes were visible and often holding a hand in front of my nose as well, but by then it had gotten better and I wasn’t that concerned anymore as I walked to the meeting place, getting in at 7:15 PM. And at some later point, as I was sitting there, I realized that my nose was quite fine, having started to get much better after I went in and eventually hardly bothering me at all anymore. It did give me some more warnings when I was back outside, after leaving, but nothing too serious even by the time I got back, just before 11:15 PM, after wandering around a while longer after leaving that reunion, which I did at 10 PM.
Returning to that reunion, it had been said that it’ll start at 7 PM, but that was pretty much the earliest hour when people should come, as it had been clearly specified that anyone could arrive and leave whenever they wanted and the whole point was just to see each other again, even if some won’t be there long. So I ended up just sitting down somewhere, one seat from the end of one side, the tables being arranged in a corner, which resulted in not even being able to listen to much and just focusing on the few around me, as I couldn’t hear what those on the other side talked about. Considered asking the guy who was on my right to switch, and he seemed to be considering the same thing more than once, since we often found ourselves looking in opposite directions, with him being more interested in the discussion between the one in front of me and the two on my left while I was more interested in those who were in front of him and to his right, but neither of us did. Probably wouldn’t have made much of a difference for me either way, one seat, and most went out to smoke multiple times as well, ending up talking in the smoking area and just leaving the, shall we say, non-smoking minority there, with me rather isolated in my spot, since I didn’t move even then.
Still, heard some interesting inside information about USR and Demos, and also about the ongoing Rosia Montana situation, plus of course various details about the personal lives of those who were around me, and was still there when the group picture was taken. Two had left even earlier, one saying he’ll try to be back, and I meant to leave after the third, at 9:30 PM, but decided to stay a bit longer and just as the girl who had sat in front of me was also about to leave, around 9:45 PM, a few others arrived and that group picture was taken, possibly including everyone who was going to come except those three, since I counted 22 in the picture and the one who had set up the reunion had said that 25 had confirmed that they’ll be there.
It’s possible that things only really got started then, especially considering who was in that last group, but I nevertheless left at 10 PM, since at that point I was quite sure my nose was well enough to allow me to also stop at the Carrefour at Unirii, look for a few things and still catch the last metro leaving from Dristor, so I won’t have to walk back from there. And I did just that, taking the metro to Unirii, getting off there, buying a few things, getting back on the metro and indeed catching that last one after switching. Actually had to wait for several minutes for it to leave, so I’d have likely been back sooner if I would have walked, but despite feeling much better I obviously didn’t want to force my nose any more than I had to.

As for yesterday, went out again, since dad wanted to stock up on cat food, and we were actually completely out of one kind and Liza doesn’t seem to touch the other stuff he had bought instead of it, after I had mentioned that it should be similar. I guess it’s not similar after all, and he also bought five of those, and from some nearby pet shop, at a higher price, instead of just one, to see whether she’ll eat it, but I guess that’s his problem. Mine was the fact that I was obviously still worried about the nose, plus of course the situation with the network, which had those effects on my sleep, and going out during a sunny day and with a reported high around 10°C meant I didn’t exactly want to wear that thing again. Had it with me, in case it’ll be needed, but it fortunately wasn’t, and I can actually say that the problem with my nose mostly went away by now. I still feel it a little bit, but it’s not something I’d pay attention to otherwise, so I guess going out actually was a very good thing, though I feared it’ll make things worse. I’m noticing the issues with breathing again though, the way my chest feels, and that’s actually even more worrying, but I have an appointment to check out my nose and possibly throat on January 9, so maybe I’ll find out more then… And maybe things won’t get that bad again after next week’s run!
But to return to yesterday, I left around 2:15 PM, taking the recyclables out, this time including the glass bottles, and then walking to the new Supeco, opened instead of the Carrefour Market next to that farmers’ market. Just checked prices there though, spotting a couple of things that were cheaper than elsewhere but not wanting to carry anything all around and obviously giving up on the idea of returning there at the end when I decided to use the free bus from Auchan to get back. So I then walked to the Carrefour from that area, buying a bag of three kilograms of oranges, actually finding one with good ones… And also ending up paying 0.50 RON less for it, since the cashier asked whether I had smaller bills or coins, I said I just had 2 RON like that, which shouldn’t have been enough to make a difference, and she said that was fine, giving me 5 RON as change instead of the 4.50 RON she should have given me at that point, and saying that she had nothing else when I asked whether she was sure.
Then I finally started actually looking for the cat food, first walking to that Auchan, getting a pack of that cheap kind of yogurt I used to get in the past, since the one I returned to recently got back to its usual price, plus a kind of cat food, which again proved that pricing errors really are mistakes at Auchan, since it was cheaper than the listed price, while on the other hand I gave up on one of the kinds of tea I meant to get since it was more expensive, the problem there being that it had been placed in the spot where that kind of tea from another brand, which they seemed to be completely out of, used to be and the price labels hadn’t been changed, which I only noticed when I checked more carefully, after scanning it and seeing the different price. Also meant to buy more popcorn from there, but forgot. On the other hand, ended up getting an anniversary 0.50 RON coin that was recently released here as change from the machine, and since it’s the first one I stumbled into and had ended up receiving that 0.50 RON more as change from Carrefour anyway, I’ll be setting it aside. But this was about cat food, and that only took care of one of the kinds, and in fact the one that wasn’t urgent, so I then walked to that Kaufland, somehow “managing” to get a bit confused on the way but figuring it out well enough eventually, and getting a few expiring things from there before going to that pet shop for all the rest of the cat food.
That meant I was carrying over 15 kg on my way back from there, and I didn’t want to have to walk back with all of that, so I just walked the much shorter distance back to that Auchan and used their free bus, getting back at 6:10 PM… And forgetting about the pack of yogurt, since the oranges were on top of it and I went right to my room at first, the priest being in the building and getting here minutes after me, so I only put it in the refrigerator around 7:25 PM, after taking care of the dishes, putting all other things in their place and finally seeing in there, and I can only hope that it won’t spoil earlier because of that. And while I’m at it I’ll also mention that my trial of Kaspersky Anti-Virus ended while I was out that day, but that means it switched to the limited functionality mode, which still seems to do a fair bit, so I’ll wait a while longer before moving on to something else. And it does actually remain an option for purchase, though not the one I’d prefer, for a number of reasons.

And before finishing what should really be this year’s last Sunday update, I’ll also mention that last Friday I made an account on Indiegala to grab Ascension to the Throne for free, this being a game I had ended up being somewhat interested in after discovering Zoom Platform and having a look at what they had and GOG.com didn’t. And Thursday I unpacked it, since it was delivered as a simple archive, without an installer, and started playing, the problem being that if I keep doing so I’ll clearly have no chance to finish the Kingmaker campaign in Kingmaker by the end of the year, as I’d really want to. Of course, I’m close to the end and would likely be able to finish it in one day, if not one sitting, if I went for it, but keep putting that off, pretty much dropping it again in late October, just doing a few more things on November 10 and then leaving it at that. But I really should try soon, now that I also finished the last book I meant to read this year, which ended up being Warbreaker, and wrote the quick review for it. Venetica can wait, though the fact that I quite suddenly stopped playing it last month, when I guess I stopped playing anything again until now, may make it harder to pick back up if I’ll allow a long time to pass and play multiple other games before then.


No comments

RSS feed Comments | TrackBack URI

Write Comment

Note: Any comments that are not in English will be immediately deleted.

XHTML: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>