[ View menu ]

Better Run, Emsisoft, Possible Tooth Problems

This week’s run was Tuesday, when the alarm was supposed to ring at 2 PM but I decided to get up when I woke up at 1:35 PM. As soon as I got out of my room, dad said we had no gas, so I went straight to the toilet and, surprisingly, didn’t just waste time. In fact, it seems I made good use of the time until the gas came back, since I tried to turn on the stove after that and it worked, so I could make tea, not having to resort to some juice bought by dad in order to drink something before the run. Then I had the usual stuff plus almonds, and part of an apple and Turkish delight pie he brought from his mother as something sweet, and went out at 4 PM, after spending quite a lot of time struggling to fit the bags and the few other things I wanted to take with me into the tights, since I meant to at least go to that Carrefour right after the run. For that reason, also considered taking the regular shoes, but used the full running gear in the end. The reported temperature was about 24-25°C and there was little wind for once, so I only felt a few gusts while running and those didn’t really bother me either. The Sun was playing hide and seek too, meaning it was quite nice much of the time, though I did feel a bit of heat when it was sunny and I wasn’t in the shade.
Before getting to the run, however, I’ll mention that, before leaving, I heard dad talking to his sister on the phone and she was apparently mentioning a sore throat, to which he said it was probably caused by her eating ice cream, so I told him that these days you don’t assume it’s something else, you isolate at the slightest symptom, ask your doctor to be tested and only think of other possible causes if the test is negative. Now, she’s been in Italy for a long time and I have no idea whether she came to visit their mother recently, or even at the same time he went there, but I’ve also been hearing him cough again, which in itself would be normal for him, but at this time is an added reason for concern, so let’s see how this will play out…
Back to the run, the target was 1:18 and I meant to push from the start, and it actually worked out again, finally! The time was 1:17:37, with sector times of 4:22, 4:58, 5:50, 4:26, 5:01, 5:52, 4:27, 4:58, 5:58, 4:34, 5:10, 6:10, 4:38, 5:13 and 6:00, making for lap times of 15:10, 15:19, 15:23, 15:54 and 15:51. That means I wasn’t just 2:15 faster than the previous time I covered this distance, but also matched last week’s first two laps overall, losing a second on the first and recovering it on the second, was 27 seconds faster than then on lap three and still did two more laps after that. Also spent those first three laps trying to pay attention to the markings that appeared on that path some time ago, going all the way to a half marathon distance, noticing that the start had 7 km listed next to it, which would be impossible if the route they were for never left that path, and that the markings for some kilometers seemed to be missing, so I was wondering whether they’re for a route that makes a detour at some point. But as of lap four I couldn’t spare the resources, be they physical or mental, for anything else anymore, and while at the start of the lap I was even thinking of 1:17, it quickly became clear that I had to manage the loss of time from that point on, as I was getting significantly slower and had to really fight for those times I did manage. Was really pushing on lap five, giving it everything I had left on the last sector in particular, probably starting to do that a little early but nevertheless managing a good time under those circumstances, and staying under 16 minutes on each lap, which was the secondary target I had set for myself during lap four.
That spot on the back of my left thigh, above the knee, was hurting a bit from the start and continued to do so all the way to the end, and my right knee gave me some serious warnings from the end of sector two of lap four, what began with some localized pain in one spot seeming to engulf the entire knee on lap five, though the intensity was dropping with time. Other than that, however, I felt better, had more energy, than I had in quite a while, and the park wasn’t crowded either. There were some people, requiring some weaving and going the long way around, but there was perhaps just one roadblock, I believe on sector two of lap four, though there may be a small chance it was actually on sector two of lap five. Either way, I’m not even sure I should really call that an actual roadblock, since there was a tight spot left that I managed to squeeze through, possibly slowing a bit as I did so. Other than that, took to the grass to go around some guys on sector one of lap two, but that meant cutting a turn a bit, then there was the poplar fluff that went right in my nose on sector two of lap two, so I probably lost a bit of time as I kept trying to blow or even pick it out, unsure of what I managed, and then there was a moment on sector one of lap three, under the bridge, when two cyclists were coming from the opposite direction, all three of us being on that cycling lane that supposedly isn’t one, and all three of us cleared it when we saw each other, the two of them on opposite sides, so I ended up facing one of them on the side with the lake and had to slow or maybe even stop for just an instant and make room.

As planned, went to that Carrefour after the run, stopping on a bench to write down the times, not that I needed to, and some quick notes mentioning what I remembered about the problems I had during the run. Didn’t plan to get much, but had taken more money with me since I didn’t have any smaller bills at the time and that proved to be a good thing, since I saw that good price for Liza’s food again, so I got as much as I could, leaving just enough to get a bread which I believe is a new kind and two expiring yogurts for myself, some single-use plastic cups dad unfortunately said he wanted, and some more eggs, since those were also still at that really low price. Wandered around for quite a while as I got those things though, and was only back at 7:25 PM.
Except the bread, which I only took care of shortly before going to bed, I rushed to put things in their place after getting back, then took the recyclables, including those things I take to Kaufland, and was out again at 8 PM. Wanted to go to Kaufland because there was supposed to be a 40% discount on all apples that day, and while I doubted I’d find Romanian ones at a decent price there in general, and finding any left at that hour on that day was unlikely anyway, I wanted to try. Of course, with the stocks usually being lower at the Pantelimon one, it was a bad idea to go there, and didn’t mean to at first, but then I ended up going there after all in order to drop those things off. Didn’t even cut through that mall, going around it instead, even though something in my left hip, probably a tendon or something of the sort, started really hurting on the way there. And, as expected, this entire part of the trip was pointless, as there were absolutely no apples of any kind left, and I didn’t get anything from Kaufland at all. There was one bundle of green onions left, with the evening discount, which actually just took it to what I’d consider to be a normal price, and it actually looked quite good, but I decided against bothering with it and just bought National Geographic from that store that’s also there before leaving, since I couldn’t find it in Kaufland.
The pain was quite a problem when I left, but I nevertheless wanted to check out the Kaufland from Vitan as well, so I went there after that… And actually used a slightly longer route, couldn’t really say why. Considering the hour, I couldn’t take it too slowly either, and was actually wondering whether it closed at 10 PM or later, because if it closed at 10 PM I’d have had very little time to look around, so I tried to protect that hip as much as I could while still pushing through it. Was also wondering whether the fact that I had stuffed the smaller bags in the little key pocket during the run had something to do with that pain, since it likely caused it to press just on that spot, but it’s not like it made any difference at that point, so I tried to use the moments when I was waiting for the light to turn green for some quick stretching exercises, hoping those would help… And ending up feeling quite a crackle as I raised that leg at one point, and then one more time a little later, though that was when I was not careful at all and tried to sprint to catch a green light, without even managing it.
Reached that Kaufland at 9:45 PM and was relieved to see that it closed at 11 PM, so I didn’t need to rush, though the employees seemed quite bothered that customers were still around at that hour, increasingly so as time passed. Still no apples, of course, but I got some more onions, then also a bundle of green ones from the few that were left there, also with the evening discount, though I think that single one left at the Pantelimon one had been better. Also got some more soy, for something I want to make, after spending quite a long time looking for it. Then I used the self-checkout with no issues, walked out at 10:15 PM… And saw an employee opening and checking the cabinets. The one I had placed the magazine in was still closed though, and remained so after I tried opening it, since it sounded as if it was unlocking when I was putting in the code, but nothing was happening. She asked whether it was stuck and, after I said it was, put in what I gather is an override code right in front of me, without asking what I had in there or for any proof that the contents were mine, and also without trying to cover the code as she typed it. The lock remained stuck, however, but then she put in a longer code and that seemed to finally unlock it, so I could grab the magazine and be on my way, being back here at 10:50 PM. Interestingly, I felt less pain on the way back.
After putting the purchases in their place, I took a bath, only starting to make mamaliga after that, which meant I only started actually eating at 2:30 AM, though I had taken something sweet and some watermelon right after putting the water on the stove. After eating, unsuccessfully chased a mosquito in the bathroom before going to bed, then noticed just how much that tendon, if that’s what it was, hurt when I woke up some two hours later, because of dad making noise in the kitchen and apparently Liza jumping on her plate and tipping it over. It was quite hard to get back to sleep because of that pain, and it definitely worried me at the time, even more so since it felt swollen as well. But I eventually did get back to sleep, woke up one more time to pee, then was woken up again around noon and had no chance to get back to sleep, the father of the downstairs neighbor wanting to cut the weeds and seeming to have problems with the trimmer, repeatedly trying to start it and seeming to fail, waking me up again just as I was starting to drift back to sleep. After this repeated a few times, at 12:20 PM I decided to get up, though that hip made it rather hard to actually get out of bed again. Fortunately, by Thursday it seemed quite fine.

After noticing the price listed in RON when I checked, even if that’s not one of the available options and only works if it’s automatically selected after the location is detected or I clear the cookie after selecting something from the list myself, I wondered whether dad could use his card to buy a license for Emsisoft Anti-Malware after all, since I had decided to go through with it, and Wednesday he tried and it worked. However, the first issue is that they now force auto-renewal and their payment processor stores the card data for that purpose, with no way for the customer to disable this when making the purchase even though they told me they can do so at any point after that, so I obviously asked for it to be done and the auto-renewal was canceled right away, but was told to contact the payment processor to delete the card data, which I’m yet to do, in part because I wonder whether a refund, possibly one immediately followed by withdrawing the amount again, may be part of the solution to the issues I noticed immediately after activating this license.
What happened was that I got a new license instead of trying to see what would happen if I renewed the one which had expired over a year ago, and this shows up as managed as part of a workspace on their cloud console or something like that, can’t add it as personal license and don’t even see when it expires or the key locally! In addition, when I activated the license another process started, which may also be the cause of the roughly 1% performance reduction I’ve been noticing in BOINC since then, and I’m seeing a message stating that it keeps trying to connect to the cloud console, but never seems to do it, and shouldn’t, since I immediately set it to local management only after activation. Was told when I asked that it was their CEO’s decision to do it that way for new licenses, though it shouldn’t keep connecting if it’s set to local management only, but when I pressed the first matter I was also told that they can still in fact remove the license from the workspace and add it as a personal one, so the information will show up locally again, and I’m thinking that doing that may make it stop saying it’s remote managed and trying to connect as well.

Otherwise, Wednesday was also another day with no visits recorded in either view, as was yesterday, but Wednesday was also the day when I got to 21 years of being a SETI@home user. Interestingly, things changed to some extent compared to what I was saying last week just in time for that, the site apparently returning on Monday, since I saw some posts from July 13 on the message boards, though I only thought to check on Thursday, after seeing that the maintenance message which had again replaced that “feeder not running” one at some point Tuesday or Wednesday continued to be returned to BOINC, making it clear that it wasn’t some sort of automated change that continued to apply at some point each Tuesday and likely get reversed within 24 hours. The data servers still aren’t back though, and likely won’t return, the server status page having now changed to no longer even list most of them or any statistics, stating that the database server is not accessible. But, while it didn’t happen while the project was still active in any way, at least it means I got to 21 years at a time when it was “properly” in hibernation and not pretty much dead, as it was last week.

Before finishing this, I’ll also mention that lately I’m seeing little brown cockroaches in the bathroom, again seeming to mainly be in the bathtub, as if they’re coming up the drain, which would be odd, so I’m checking the other possibilities. Still, last night a few were on the floor as well, and I stomped on several before finally getting in bed, a little after 5:20 AM, though a couple still escaped. Also, while I’m at potential problems, I’m starting to be quite sure that I’m noticing my mouse‘s T1 button double clicking. Much more pressing, however, is that it seems that a tooth on my upper right side is starting to hurt, and going to the dentist may be quite a problem now, considering not just the costs but also the risks involved when the number of cases is increasing in such a manner over here and hospitals are already overwhelmed. And speaking of risks, dad’s cough seemed worse today, at least in the first part of the day… As for the costs, there’s also the fact that, at least for the next month, and for up to three months if I’ll end up replacing the mouse, I won’t be able to cover anything out of what I have set aside if dad won’t have the amount readily available, because yesterday I went with him to make sure that my deposits had closed and withdraw the money, in order to put them and what I had set aside since making the last one in state bonds for a year, since the option is available this month and I decided to try holding on to this computer for one more year after all, this also being why I decided to purchase that license after all instead of moving on to some other trial. Just used the machines at this branch of the bank, not having anything to do with people, and saw that the available amount was 0.75 RON more than I had calculated, which never hurts.


No comments

RSS feed Comments | TrackBack URI

Write Comment

Note: Any comments that are not in English will be immediately deleted.

XHTML: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>