[ View menu ]

Going to the Dentist May Have Made It Even Worse…

Got back to Disciples and managed to finish two more of those “Divine Empire” scenarios these days. Started number 15 Saturday and due to forgetting some things it was a very bad start, so I quit and restarted quickly, going well after that until I took a break. When I got back for a bit, before eating that night, a rash attack caused me to lose my good leader, but I knew I didn’t need a leader to complete that scenario, so just continued like that. Right after eating I did load an autosave, since I continue to not make any other saves while playing these scenarios, after trying something I realized wouldn’t have gained me anything even if I could succeed, but then continued to the end, finishing it just before going to bed. Then started scenario 16 the next day, but only managed to finish it just before starting to write this post, and that happened only because I wanted to get it over with and rushed after a point, as otherwise it could have taken a fair bit longer. So now I just have five left until I’ll be able to say I completed the game, since I consider this series of scenarios to be something like an expansion, and I sure hope I’ll get through them in August, and then write a review as well.

This week’s run was yesterday, ten kilometers again, the time again being just a normal one, 48:22, with sector times of 4:19, 5:11, 5:56, 4:28, 4:59, 5:55, 4:35, 5:09, 6:02 and 1:48, making for lap times of 15:26, 15:22 and 15:46. Woke up, grabbed something to eat, not including one thing I usually want to eat before running, and went out, not even drinking anything and not managing much when I went to the toilet either. But it was cloudy, so the Sun wasn’t a problem, though the humidity was. Wind was also not a problem until the end, when at the start of sector three of lap three I suddenly found myself heading into quite a gust, which was also a problem on the next longer straight. Did need to push a bit in order to manage that otherwise normal time, but the second lap’s second sector showed me that I could do better if I needed to, so I wasn’t exactly worried, though I did slip three seconds behind the time I was aiming for at the end of sector two of lap three and five seconds behind it after that sector three where the wind was something of a problem. Though that didn’t happen on those exact sectors, a few people were a problem as well and it can be said that they caused that loss overall, since there weren’t that many in the park but there were some, including a few that got in the way, either due to coming from opposite directions and coming together right in front of me or simply not looking when crossing or changing direction.

After running, ate some more and then went back out, going to the farmers’ market, and to this pharmacy that’s on the way, getting some stuff for dad from there too. That caused some problems though, since it took too long and then I had to rush once I got to the market, so I just had a quick look through the area where those selling fruit should be and missed the guy with some nice and cheap plums that was somewhere else, picking a few from some pretty bad ones that another had at that same price. But I was looking for apricots first, yet after dismissing the one or two that had expensive ones I ended up getting all of one kind of fruit that same guy that I also got the plums from after that had, which ended up being just very little over one kilogram, so paid for it as one… Yet those were actually small peaches, not apricots, and since the label just listed the price and I was rushing, I confused them, so I’m very unhappy with the fruit I got this time around. Good thing I didn’t lose them, at least, since I had left the bag with them there after I also got the plums, only realizing it after taking a few steps, stopping to try to put those bags into another and seeing I just had one, as the guy didn’t call after me.
That still left the matter of cucumbers and tomatoes, but by then I was really rushing, since it was getting closer to 7 PM, when that market closes, according to the listed schedule, though I did have a quick look around at least. The cucumbers I got are pretty bad, but I found no better ones that didn’t cost more, so I just grabbed the two thirds of a kilogram that an old woman still had. It was worse with the tomatoes, as I did mean to check exactly what one or two others had at that low price but eventually ended up grabbing some from two women, the older one looking and behaving like the proverbial mother-in-law. She first asked me whether I’ll buy all of those they had at that price, and I said no way, then she meant to pick them and put them in my bag herself, but I just kept the bag out of her reach and kept picking myself, so she realized she’s not getting anywhere and did something else for a moment, until I put the bag on the scale and saw that it was just a few grams over two thirds of a kilogram, so took my bag off the scale and told her the amount that’d be. She had none of that though, instead rather harshly asking what did I mean by that amount and taking the bag to check herself, saying nothing else when she saw the weight and I asked whether I had been wrong.
That was all I meant to get, but had also noticed a guy with the kind of peppers I want at a good price, so I got some of those as well. But he wasn’t nice either, not at the end at least, as he didn’t have the scale in reach and I gave him the bag to check the weight after I picked some, then after he said one more would be needed to get to one kilogram he complained that I put my hand on one and didn’t take it, though when he saw that the one I gave him after that was smaller he didn’t say anything else… And I ended up with a bit under one kilogram, in fact, and two or three of them were quite bad too, which I didn’t notice at the time since it was quite dark there, as it had started raining a bit. Only lasted for a moment though, so it wasn’t a problem on the way back.

Going back to the beginning of the period covered by this post, Wednesday I meant to write the review for Ember, but just as I was trying to get ready to start, at 3:30 PM, there was a power failure. Actually waited a couple of minutes, then called to see whether the machine had any estimate to give, but it was of course too soon for that, the only message being one for another area, which was supposed to have power restored around 8 PM. So I turned off the computer some seven or eight minutes after the power failed, which may be the longest amount of time yet, then called again, this time hearing a message for this area as well. Since it said that power was going to be restored around 7 PM, I crawled in bed, but it seemed that power was intermittently coming back on within minutes, and I’m not sure whether I had fallen asleep or was just about to when I was definitely awake again due to shouting and knocking on my door to let me know that the power had been restored. No idea why that was considered necessary, but that was it for sleeping then. Didn’t turn the computer back on just then though, logs stating that I only did that just before 5 PM. Then I started struggling with that review, but stopped after the positive aspects, briefly getting back to it to just start the bad ones before going to bed. Then I finished it the next day, managing to post both here and on MobyGames mere minutes before midnight. Then I read it again and made a few little changes before going to bed.

But the relevant part of this post took place Friday, when I went to the dentist to see what could be done about that chipped crown. The appointment was for 10:45 AM, but when me and dad got there the receptionist said it’ll be about 20 minutes more, then even went to ask the doctor how long it’ll be and came back to say that yes, about 20 minutes. So we got back here to make shopping lists, since we were going to go together after that, getting back I think just before 11 AM. But those 20 minutes stretched on, and it was 11:15 AM when the assistant told me to come to the other room and get on the chair, and past 11:30 AM when the doctor finally came as well. So I had a fair bit of time to just sit there, alone with my thoughts in a dentist’s office, and get more and more anxious, getting to the point of needing to hold off a panic attack that was starting to threaten.
The actual bad part started after that though, because the doctor came with two suppliers after her. They had arrived while I was waiting, delivering something and talking to the receptionist and to someone else who seemed to be the accountant, but they were also waiting for the doctor and when she finally finished with her previous patient she asked them to come after her and present their products while she was working on me… So she rushed in with them after her, quickly asked me what’s she supposed to do, then looked in my mouth and started doing something in there while talking to them, seeming to pay no attention to me and, as far as I can tell, taking a bit off the ceramic crown from the bottom, saying that hardly anything seems gone, it was probably an extremely thin bit, and perhaps because it was too big, so she’ll do that to prevent it from happening again. It was only when she said she was done that I could get myself to say that the bit that came off was towards the back, but she said nothing seems exposed there either, and that it wouldn’t be a problem if metal would be exposed anyway, though one would assume that if I wanted a ceramic crown I don’t want exposed metal in my mouth and therefore it would be a problem for me regardless of what she says. She tried to show me that it looked fine, but there was no way for me to see there despite her saying that it should be visible with the way she was holding the mirrors. And she said the crown was no less sturdy now that she just took a thin layer off it.
This definitely feels all wrong, and as if I went there to make things even worse. Yes, she didn’t charge for it, but she shouldn’t have charged for it anyway, since the crown itself should be under warranty for years to come. But instead of fixing what came off, somehow putting something there again, even if it was just a layer from the surface, she didn’t do anything at all about that and instead actually took a bit off the rest of it, and I don’t know how making it thinner could possibly not make the ceramic less sturdy. Plus that I couldn’t trust what she did there either way when she was obviously paying little to no attention to me, talking to those men about products and their site and prices. And those men obviously wore no masks either, and I’m not quite sure how much she kept hers on while talking either. It’s possible that she did, but I really don’t remember.

Either way, after that me and dad went first to Auchan, with the car, also taking the plastic bottles and one can which had gathered. We went in through different doors, since I was going to the recycling machine and he had something to pay first, but when I got to the machine I saw that it wasn’t working, so I just left everything there, alongside what had been left by others, and when I left I saw quite a lot more left in that area. So I went into the hypermarket quickly and dad wasn’t where he said we’ll meet, and he still wasn’t there when I got back, after getting cat food. But he appeared a little later and we talked about what each was going to get for a moment, but I wasn’t exactly sure why I came along, and my mood was obviously bad after what had happened at the dentist. Still, we had split the things that were on the list, so we went separate ways, yet he found me again as I was looking at something from his list… Something which we both forgot about after that, since he said he’ll look for other options first.
I did get what we meant to get out of what was on my list, plus some things for myself since I was there, so I won’t have to go again this week. And it was a good thing I got the yogurt then, and that I got two boxes of it too, because each box was scanned for the price of a single yogurt. I somehow forgot to check the price for them myself, so I don’t know whether it was an error in the system, but I do recall the cashier actually looking at the box and making sure she scanned the code on it and not one on one of the yogurts inside, so it’s possible that she noticed what showed up and wanted to make sure it hadn’t been her mistake. It also surprised me less than it should have when I saw the total, because it was just then that I was realizing that I had calculated with twice as much cat food as I actually bought, so knew it should be a fair bit less than I had calculated and didn’t yet know exactly how much. It was a nice surprise though, and once again showed that such mistakes at Auchan really are mistakes, since they can go both ways.
Still, after paying less there, I paid more to charge my phone card, and the guy there seemed quite clueless. I wanted to just activate it for a while longer, and had seen that there had been changes and that charging with just one Euro should offer 15 days now as well, but asked just how it is if I charge with that amount, to make sure, and the guy first said there was no active period offered for such low amounts, then corrected himself to say there was no grace period when I told him he was wrong. Then he looked up, saying he knows there were changes and wants to give me the correct information, but apparently he looked up the old information instead, as he told me I get five days for one Euro, ten for two. But I wasn’t sure those new terms were applying already, so I said I’ll charge with two, to make sure I’ll have it active at the start of August as well… Yet when I got the message, it said the active period will end after 15 days, so the new terms did apply and I could have charged with just one. The guy really seemed to have no idea though, not trying to get one more Euro out of me.
Went out after that, sending dad a message to let him know. It was starting to rain a bit, and I didn’t remember where the car was parked, so I searched for it for a bit, until dad called and told me, since he took a while before seeing my message. What was rather unpleasant was that, after realizing the car wasn’t where I thought it’d be, I stopped next to some beggars who kept nagging me even if I just ignored them completely. Got nagged a bit more after I found the car, after dad called, but I continued to ignore them and they eventually looked for others. Would have been very unpleasant otherwise, since dad said he’ll be out quickly but still took a while longer, and in fact I was just about to go to the free bus stop when I saw him coming out, with a full cart, since the free bus that comes here was supposed to come just then and I meant to take it and just send him a message to let him know. They did start nagging again when we got back to the car though, and quite insistently, but all they got was the 0.50 RON coin in the cart, which dad let them put back for us.
Then we decided to go straight to the other hypermarkets, with dad stopping at Kaufland and me walking to the nearby Carrefour, comparing prices by phone, so he got some things and I got others. A guard seemed to get very interested in me while I was looking at sugar after getting off the phone, since he stared and then followed right behind me as I searched for another kind of sugar, only stopping when I left that area. Not sure what I did then to make me suspicious in his eyes, but I might have looked a little suspicious later, after getting a bag of cat litter, checking the price, seeing that it was more than the listed one, and going back to take a picture of the price on the shelf, so I’ll have proof when I’ll complain, since dad had said that I should take one after all, even though it’s a bit cheaper somewhere else and he’ll likely get more from there after we’ll get back. Either way, got back to the sugar after that, first meaning to take a full batch, then realizing that there were I think ten in it, or definitely more than the six I had to get. So I put the batch back and took the six one by one, and I was doing that when the employee working in that area came and said that if he’d have known I wanted a batch he could have given me one, then realized I was taking fewer and asked if I had changed my mind and I said I wanted fewer in the first place. As I was walking away he asked whether somebody had punished me to carry so much, since I hadn’t taken a cart, and told me to take care of my back.
Since making sure they don’t charge less is their problem but making sure they don’t charge more is mine, I pointed out the price difference for the cat litter when checking out and the cashier seemed a bit bothered by that, saying she’ll give me the difference but just rounding up the change and therefore giving me only a third of it. I said that wasn’t quite right, but was about to walk away even so when she told me to go to customer service and sort it out. So I did just that, one person called for a price check, but I pointed out I had a picture too and another came and asked to see it, trying to figure out whether it was the same product. She didn’t quite seem convinced, so I was waiting for that price check, but after another moment she said there was no more need for the check and just gave me the difference, which was therefore on top of what the cashier had already given me. And I found a couple of coins on the floor there as well, plus one more earlier, I believe somewhere at Auchan.
Then I called dad to tell him I was done and to ask whether he had left already and I had to walk back, but he said he had just gotten back to the car, so I got back there and we came back together as well. Considering how much stuff he had bought, not even both of us could carry all of it back up at once anyway, and in a way it was a good thing because after going back for the other things he came back with some money, saying a guy had hit the car in the parking lot. He mentioned something about it being a good thing that he wasn’t just in that spot too, but I’m not sure whether he said he had just stepped back or that he had to quickly step back to avoid being hit. Either way, the tiny dent was supposedly fixed by just pressing in that spot, but when he asked what should be done about the scratches the guy just gave him some money and asked whether that will cover it. And it’s not like the car isn’t in a very bad shape anyway.


No comments

RSS feed Comments | TrackBack URI

Write Comment

Note: Any comments that are not in English will be immediately deleted.

XHTML: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>