[ View menu ]

Spraying Room, Botanical Garden, Thinking of a Long Night Run

Though boxes and some other things are still under the desk, after vacuuming what can be said to be one side of the room on Sunday, finally dusted the bookcase and the books and put them back after eating last night. Switched a couple of books around on purpose and noticed I had placed a few wrong in the piles, which made it harder to remember where they were supposed to go, but think I got them back in their right places. Also put some stuff back in the desk, so when I’ll also vacuum and get the stuff that’s under my desk back next to the wall, I should be done. But with my mother being here these days, not sure when I will vacuum, so I’ll just include the part about spraying my room in this post instead of waiting to be done with all of it.

Speaking of my mother being here, I was just told Sunday that dad meant to bring her Tuesday but she’ll probably be brought by someone else Monday, but they didn’t know when. The problem was that this was going to happen because the washing machine that was at my grandmother’s broke down for good and they bought another, which they wanted to bring here, taking our old one there. Since it was bought with grandmother’s money, that struck me as unfair and I had already said so, but didn’t get anywhere with dad, as he just said it may be unfair but it’s efficient, since they use it a lot less there and this one has some issues too, so there’s no point in buying two, though if this will also break down we may soon get to the point of needing to do so anyway. But at least the new one is A+++, Whirlpool TDLR 65210… But it seems that they hadn’t tested it there and are only doing so now, as I’m writing this, and it leaks, so they’ll see what they’ll do with it.
Either way, the point was that somebody with a van, I think a neighbor from there, was going to bring that washing machine and take this one, meaning that he’ll come here too. However, a note left by dad Monday no longer mentioned that neighbor, but instead said that they don’t know if my mother will still come that day because it depends on the washing machine fitting in my cousin’s car. So I couldn’t do much of anything that day, worried they may just show up, but at least I had eaten and crawled back in bed at 4:40 PM, and shortly after that dad got back, and while I didn’t wake up when he came in, I did as he was in the kitchen, and then got up when he quickly went back out, realizing what that probably meant and just managing to pee and rush back into my room as they were opening the door. Didn’t hear any other guy, but did hear my cousin… And his adopted child! So I just put headphones on and quickly put on some music, loud enough to cover that voice, and just sat here until I went to eat at night… At which point I found an annoying note from my mother on the kitchen table. After tearing it up in annoyance, ignored it, but the next day, when she said that someone will come to see her and they’ll stay in the kitchen just as I wanted to make popcorn for the match, I did throw “and you’re still asking things” over my shoulder before getting back to my room and again staying here until I went to eat at night.

Getting back to spraying my room, as I already mentioned, I did that Thursday and Friday. Thursday I set the alarm at noon, moved what I could, dad moved the desk, then I protected myself as well as I could and sprayed where the mold was visible, in this corner where the desk is, and continued with this part of the room that didn’t require the bed or bookcase to be moved, just letting dad help a bit with a spot above the window. Used that cheap spray I bought, since I had two of those, but used a lot of it, finishing the first one and starting the second that day and almost finishing the second as well the next day. Now it remains to be seen how good it is.
After I was done, got ready, took that t-shirt which had turned pink and the few issues of National Geographic which had gathered since last dropping some off at such an event, having just finished reading the May issue that day, and at 4:40 PM left to drop them off at another free shop, this time at that cat cafe I had taken way more issues of National Geographic to last year. Interestingly, I was again greeted by a small dog that was at the gate, and I heard other people comment that he hadn’t even barked at me in a way that indicated surprise.
Since I didn’t have the metro card, walked there and back, and just couldn’t focus, after having slept very little the previous day and not enough that day either and spraying, which probably had worse consequences than the effort itself would have had. So I ended up missing the spot where I had to turn, trying to get to the same place in what I thought was another way instead of just turning around, realizing quite some time later that I just kept going in the wrong direction and finally finding my way after losing plenty of time. Then, after just dropping the stuff off and leaving again, I stopped in a little park I found on my way back, sat on the bench and read two chapters of the book, which I had also taken with me. I was a few pages from finishing that second chapter when a drop fell on the page and I ended up first holding the book up, exposing less of a surface area, and eventually, as it started to drizzle just as I was finishing, trying to hold it so the cover would be on top, looking up to read. Then got back, rain never getting worse and even stopping by the time I arrived back here, at 7:35 PM.
Was awfully sleepy, but had stuff to do and there’d have been no way to sleep in my room anyway, though I could at least spend some time in here again by then. So started by washing the windows, at least on the inside, then vacuumed the area that’s normally under and behind the desk, took a break to eat an apple and some corn puffs, then cleaned the dust inside the computer a bit, wiped the desk, cables, UPS, keyboard, mouse and pad, then went to the kitchen to read some more until dad finally got back, around 10:50 PM, so he could move the desk back and I could get the computer back in it and everything hooked back up.

The next day, got up to pee at 11:35 AM, but didn’t need to align my schedule with dad’s anymore, so managed to get back to sleep and got up two hours later, taking my time before starting to work, first moving the bed. The boxes were next, and since the one that’s on top of the others had fallen the day before, I first set it down, then tried to push them instead of picking them up, just to lower the risk of anything like that happening again… And yet everything that was on those boxes, including the two old mice and the old switch, fell, so had to pick it all back up, and don’t know whether that had other consequences as well. Then, as I tried to carefully pick up the other box and set it down next to the desk, I somehow “managed” to hit the desk with it and had the CDs and DVDs that were on it fall, though at least they fell on the desk and not all the way down to the floor. And then the first books I took out of the bookcase fell on the floor as well. But at least I managed to end it there, taking a moment to snap myself out of whatever state kept causing me to make things fall and I could put everything on the bed without any other such mishaps. Then moved the bookcase, vacuumed a bit and sprayed the rest of the room, unfortunately getting some of that spray on the door as well. Had sprayed the door, as well as the back of the bookcase, where I actually saw a bit of mold, with that other kind of spray, purchased for the top of the kitchen cabinet back then, and had wanted to wait a while before wiping, but I rushed to wipe the door then, yet some quite obvious traces were left even so.
After being fine while I worked, I seemed to have done something to my back as I was getting ready to leave, but it wasn’t too bad, my right ankle worrying me more, as it had bothered me all day, probably due to all the pushing, and it still bothered me the next day as well. But, to get back to leaving, did so around 6:05 PM, not having any plan at first, just meaning to wander around, having dad’s metro card too, yet as I was going out he asked whether I needed money and gave me a fair bit, so I first went to Supeco again, getting a few things, then to this pharmacy for toothpaste and also to the Carrefour from that area. Wondered whether to walk from Supeco to the pharmacy, but decided to go to the next metro station and take it for one stop, yet ended up getting on the wrong one, seeing one already there and rushing in without looking well enough. Don’t think I lost time though, since the other one was just coming in when this one reached the next station, so I could change there and I guess that’d have been the one I’d have taken either way. So I got to that pharmacy, waiting in quite a line but finding a 0.50 RON coin on my way out, then passed through the farmers’ market and was surprised to see quite a few still there, ending up getting some cheap apples from one, though it was about 8:30 PM and I thought that market closed at 7 PM and had seen plenty leave even around 6 PM in the past. Then waited in another long line to get a few more things from that Carrefour and walked back, entering the building at 9:40 PM.
Since I couldn’t exactly vacuum at night, I rushed to gather the stuff I had placed on the floor, to protect it from the spray to some extent, then vacuumed the areas that’d normally be under the bookcase and bed. Eventually got to the kitchen to eat, but first washed some of the stuff dad had left and “managed” to hit the large cast iron pot he had bought some time after I dropped the old, smaller one and smashed the enamel. It only fell a few centimeters as it slipped from my hands, but it struck the edge of another pot that was in the sink and I saw a crack on the enamel, though at least it’s just on the outside… And then nothing else fell when I got back to my room after eating, moved the bookcase back, put the books on the floor, changed the sheets, turned over the mattress and moved the bed back as well. It was a bit past 4 AM when I finally went to shower and around 4:45 AM when I finished, so I just quickly checked something on-line and went to bed.

Saturday I went to the Botanical Garden, using that found metro card, since dad needed his. Left at 4:55 PM and was through the gate at 5:40 PM, after standing around for a couple of minutes, since I thought I was too early and couldn’t immediately see the person we were supposed to go to. But she was there, sitting on a bench, and quite a number of others had already arrived, judging by the marks on the list, so I also made my way to Magnolia Alley, though I did so slowly and also had a quick look at something on the way. The event was only supposed to start at 6 PM, after all.
The event in question was the inauguration of Magnolia Alley, as part of the planned Taxonomic Sector, the volunteers who took part in creating the area over the past few years being invited. It was said that a total of about 1800 people took part, but about 100 attended. This inauguration had already been postponed twice due to the weather, or at least due to the forecast, and even that evening there was supposed to be a 40-45% risk of thunderstorms, but the weather held just fine. Unfortunately, the Black Tulip magnolia, which was supposed to be the centerpiece, was chopped in half by some asshole the week before, so it was moved in front of the entrance to the sector and replaced.
Also unfortunately, for me personally, while this time I didn’t forget the camera anymore, the battery was low, leading to what I say is the problem with the fact that you can find pretty much no cameras that still use AA batteries anymore. It tricked me too, showing two lines out of three when I left, but that was apparently a false reading, as I got a low battery warning as soon as I took the first picture and it only worked until the more formal part ended and the volunteers were invited to serve themselves from the sweets, snacks and drinks that were available, take pictures, take a potted plant and so on. So I once again had to make do with my phone after that point, so the image quality of the pictures I took suddenly turns to crap. Still, ate a lot of sweets, actually feeling a bit nauseous after that, and also worried about having eaten with unwashed hands, and took my time to take pictures of all the other plants that were there as well, leaving the sector at 7:15 PM. Was sure glad that I had clothes that protected me, considering the number of mosquitoes and how badly bitten the others were.

Speaking of mosquitoes, I do seem to have at least one bite, but I actually didn’t notice it then, and I remember that I woke up with an itch in that spot when I was napping, though I forgot whether that was Sunday or Monday. It also looks odd, quite red and seeming to get larger, so it is a bit worrying and I’ll keep my eyes on it. But the mosquitoes themselves definitely are a concern, possibly even the main one, for the long night run I’m seriously considering taking part in. I might manage to do without buying anything else until then otherwise, but if I am to attend it, I’m tempted to go look for some spray or lotion to protect myself, though if I’m to use it before leaving it definitely won’t protect me all the way to the end and I don’t think I’ll carry it with me.
I just noticed this event before going to eat Monday night, though it’s apparently the third year, and while it’s quite insane and I haven’t signed up yet, I’m quite sure I will. I mean, I keep saying there should be a night run here, and while I’m referring to an actual marathon, or at least half marathon, taking place late in the evening or at night, this is interesting enough. It’s nothing official and also not competitive, so the roads won’t be closed, we’ll just run on sidewalks and through parks and the pedestrian areas of the Old Town, so there will be waiting at stoplights and the pace will be slow, with everyone needing to stay in a group and adapt to the slowest ones that want to continue, though at the same time anyone is free to come and go whenever they please. There will also be no actual refreshment points, but instead four places where we will stop to take water, needing to have bottles with us for that since they want to discourage the use of single-use plastics, a longer break being planned when we’ll reach the first such place, with some sponsored talk about nutrition taking place then. The route is also not fixed, the planned one having some 40 km but some parts of it not being clearly specified even now and a note making it clear that, depending on the conditions and the speed of the slowest participants, parts may be cut in order to reach the finish area at the scheduled time, around 5:30 AM.
With people being told to gather at 8:30 PM and the start scheduled for 9:30 PM, that means a total of eight hours, making it possible to complete the entire route, since I see that last year they covered 34.3 km in seven hours. That does make it seem that they just walked, averaging less than 5 km/h, but they say that they’re aiming for 7.5-10 km/h while running, the average dropping due to all the stops, and early on I guess there will be many of them, considering the traffic and the first part of the route, which is completely on roads, or more exactly sidewalks. There will apparently also be a lot of stairs to climb late at night, likely close to 3 AM, in Carol Park, so after much of the distance would have already been covered and people will be very tired.
What’s nice is that the start location is this nearby mall where that Carrefour also is, so I’ll just walk there. The finish is at the National Library, so I could use a metro card to get back, but could also walk, even after covering such a distance, since I doubt I’ll have dad’s card then and, either way, one clear problem is that I’d rather not take anything with me other than something for water, which I’ll need to have on me. They do say that participants will be able to leave their stuff at the start and it will be carried straight to the finish, so if they drop out they won’t be able to retrieve their things unless they go there anyway, and possibly around the scheduled finish time, but I’m rather wary. Also, my phone credit is expired and right now I can’t fit charging it again in the budget, and it’s not like having my phone wait for me at the finish will do much good, any problems being likely to appear on the way. Could consider taking the camera, but then again, probably not. As for shoes and another t-shirt, those may be useful, but at the same time not really needed and probably too much trouble under the circumstances.

I didn’t run this week so far and, if I’m to take part in that event, I won’t. However, have a new record for squats, 2:20, managed both yesterday and today! Just a second better than the previous one, but it counts. My left hip bothered me again while pushing that hard, and had done so Monday as well, when the time was around 2:25, though there was a replay just then and I therefore can’t be absolutely certain. Sunday it was 2:32.

Otherwise, I wonder if something happened with the cable used for the cameras as I moved the computer, since Saturday I assumed that I got an unrecognized device notification when connecting the camera after coming back from the Botanical Garden because the battery was so low and it was turning off, and it worked after I charged it, but now I used the old one for something and it happened again, twice. Yes, this had pretty much empty batteries in it too, but it wasn’t turning off, and after I pushed the cable in better and tried again it worked, though I didn’t feel it move at all when I did push.
And while I’m at computer issues, yesterday Vivaldi gave me the dead bird error twice, once on a GOG.com game page, and once when I tried to enter Carrefour’s anniversary contest game. That game page had loaded properly at first, but then I wrote a message in another tab, it likely unloaded, and then I saw that when it tried to load again. Since I had never seen that before, looked it up and saw that it’s some generic crash image, either caused by video or by a detected memory leak, or possible other issues as well, and refreshing the page worked just fine. However, refreshing that game led to the session being considered as completed, with zero points, so no chance to win anything, and while they say that the game is meant for mobiles, and you even need to show any discount codes won directly on your mobile, screenshots not being accepted, so I’m not even sure how I could use one if I would win it, it was quite odd to have that happen twice on the same day when it had never happened before and I hadn’t changed anything then. Granted, didn’t use Vivaldi much before, only started to use it more regularly these days, after getting signed out of GOG.com on Internet Explorer, but still…


No comments

RSS feed Comments | TrackBack URI

Write Comment

Note: Any comments that are not in English will be immediately deleted.

XHTML: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>